The most popular application in terms of instant messaging on mobile continues its journey by officially adding a new feature: group video calls. They are not new because they have been enjoyed by beta users for a long time, but it is now when video calls reach the whole world.
Two months ago we received the group video calls in the beta application of WhatsApp after many rumors and internal tests. In this period of time until the official activation the service has been tested satisfactorily until deciding that the servers will hold the enormous amount of data expected. For our tests there is no problem when establishing video conferences with up to four people: video calls are heard and look reasonably well. At least until now.
Decide if you want to add more friends to your WhatsApp call or video call at the touch of a button
The operation of video calls in a WhatsApp group is very simple: in a moment you will have a live conversation and in a group with up to three friends, four telling you; you can swap video and audio at any time with just the audio; and the data consumption is, in both cases, just enough to not exceed your rate. At least while you do not pass with the new video calls, of course.
The process to start a group video call of up to four participants is as follows:
- Call any of your contacts and establish the communication. Whether it is a call or a video call.
- Once the communication is established you will see that the icon of a person with a “+” appears in the upper right corner.
- Click on the icon and add to the contact you want: you will have joined the call (or video call).
- Press again, choose a new contact and incorporate it: you will be talking all four at once.
- You can switch between video call or call by clicking on the lower icon of the screen.
- In addition, any of the members of the conversation can invite a new contact. Always up to a maximum of four.
An important detail is that these video calls and group calls remain encrypted end-to-end, like the rest of the WhatsApp chats. So you know: you can try new group conversations with up to four of your friends with them or call them on your WhatsApp. The new option has been activated through the servers, so it should be active in most versions of the application.