Flexible diet
Flexible diet

Lately we are seeing in social networks how more and more people are joining the flexible dietDoes this mean that I can eat what I want to do sports? Or does it mean that on weekends I can stuff myself with fast food? We’ll explain what this type of diet is, also known as IIFYM ( If it fits your macros – if it fits your macros ).

Flexible diet and clean diet

This type of eating plan has its origin in bodybuilding. There were many bodybuilders who were fed up with strict “clean” diets. So they dared to include less healthy foods, but that made them enjoy the food.
Let’s say that they wanted to continue eating healthy, with their proper macronutrients, but giving themselves whims of time to time. As long as it was within reasonable limits, there is no problem.

It is not easy to do it if you are not aware of what you eat. If most of our daily calories come from fast, ultra-processed food, the diet will be a complete failure. A flexible diet is based on consuming between 80-90% of the daily calories obtained in “clean foods” (natural, rich in nutrients); and also, the 20-10% that are left over could be dedicated to less healthy foods like sweets, some soft drinks, pastries…

Being a very flexible type of food, will allow us not to fall into demotivation, since you will not be radically renouncing your favorite food or drink. Also, your fitness goals will continue and you will notice favorable results even giving you whims often.

  Vegetable Oils for your beauty routines

For example, if you are an athlete who takes 2,500 calories daily, you could allocate 2,000 (80%) to healthy and nutrient-rich foods; and the remaining 500 (20%) for your cravings. You yourself can determine what percentage to allocate each day, although we recommend that you do not raise 20% so that it does not negatively affect your results.

What benefits does this type of food provide?

Mainly, it is a diet that will help you learn to eat and you will be aware of good habits. You will reduce your anxiety about food, something very common in diets to lose weight, and you will tend not to binge on unhealthy food.

When you continue to take them in small rations during the week, you will stop obsessing over food and it will be a lasting diet over time. Personally, it is a type of food that I like to carry in my day to day. I have gone on to call it “intuitive diet”, since I am not looking for a fitness goal. Eating healthy most of the time, giving yourself whims and having an active lifestyle will help you stay healthy and fit.

By not eliminating or prohibiting any nutritional group, it usually works with most people.

Are there any drawbacks?

Disadvantages caused by the diet itself, there is not. The problem lies in the person who does it without advice and without conscience. There are many who do not know how to differentiate between what is healthy and what is not. For example, ultra-processed cereals (Special K type) are not healthy, despite being cereals.
Therefore, these percentages are unbalanced and the diet does not give the expected results.

  Foods to fight fluid retention

Likewise, having the possibility of sin can cause us to exceed it. Many diets recommend eliminating the whims because it is difficult to maintain the will to eat only a reasonable portion and not a whole package.

As you see, only you can sabotage yourself.

Leave a Reply