It is known by all, the importance of a varied and balanced diet to have a good health and, consequently, a good quality of life. However, there are many who are carried away by too many temptations, forgetting the need for proper nutrition. Today we talk about the importance of salads.
The daily integration of several servings of fruit and vegetables in our diet is essential. However, we often forget. With respect to vegetables, many believe that they require some elaboration and end up not including it in their days as much as they should. Is there something simpler than choosing a piece of fruit or preparing an appetizing and nutritious salad?
Why should you eat salads?
For starters, salads are very easy to prepare and, besides, you do not have to get bored with them. One of the main advantages is the great versatility at the time of preparation . In addition, it is a dish with a high content of nutrients and a high percentage of water. Therefore, in addition to being very complete, it helps to hydrate our body and is satiating. By including salads in our daily menu, we are making sure to comply with the recommended fruit and vegetable servings in a simple and appetizing way. Because, contrary to what many people think, a salad can be very tasty.
Many people associate salads with weight loss plans and weight loss diets. This is a big mistake, since including one a day is a very healthy choice for everyone. This one provides vitamins, minerals, fibers and antioxidants, among other nutrients.
Benefits of eating salads daily
- Increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables, can reduce the risk of suffering some diseases.
- It favors the health of the heart helping to prevent the appearance of certain cardiovascular affections.
- Reduces the risk of obesity, osteoporosis, diabetes, high cholesterol…
- They suppose a great contribution of water and fiber and very little fat, reason why it favors the loss of weight.
- It is depurative, since it has great diuretic and detoxifying properties.
- It protects the skin thanks to the beta – carotene content of some vegetables, which they transform into vitamin A, renewing the skin and mucous membranes. On the other hand, vitamin C improves the production of collagen, which helps keep the skin smooth.
- Improvement in intestinal transit thanks to its fiber content.
Basic considerations when preparing a salad
The basis of the salads are green leafy vegetables such as lettuce, Swiss chard, spinach or arugula, among others. Add onion, cucumber, tomato… even green beans or peppers. Give your dishes a lot of color because, in addition to being more appetizing, they are a symbol of greater nutritional value.
It’s not worth putting a salad costume to temptations. We already know that depending on the ingredients you add to it, you will be providing greater benefits. Therefore, try to include small amounts of healthy fat for the heart, such as olive oil, avocado, seeds or nuts. If you include pieces of fruit, you contribute to eat the recommended portion of it.
Another consideration that you can consider is supplementing the preparation with a dose of protein. So try to have some grilled chicken, salmon or tofu.
Beyond these recommendations, you have a wide range of possibilities. You can prepare it with or without meat, with seaweed, olives or include corn, peas or raisins. Be creative and start opting for a daily salad.